Thanks for stopping by to take a look at a very cool 1977 GMC Royale Motorhome. She’s not perfect but she sure has her charms.
Hailing from El Cajon, (inland San Diego County in southern California), she had been pampered by the original owners and stored away inside for many years.
Famous for the network of fans, owners, parts suppliers and refurbishers, there’s a good reason so many GMCs have survived. That’s even more true today with the internet connecting questions with answers and providers standing by to help.
This is the top of the line for GMC Motorhomes, The Royale 260 was the most expensive version and sported the most opulent cabinetry and interior appointments. We call this coach a project. We do so because of its age. We have tried to address what we can see here but nothing beats your personal inspection.
Stuff We love about this GMC Royale:
- Original overall condition. We notice that this GMC looks like it did when it was new.
- Wow, the mileage! Is it really 19,735 miles or is it 119,735? See below.
- The cabinetry is excellent. No damage noted
- The bathroom and DRY shower/bath is excellent. Really well preserved and solid.
- Gorgeous solid hand fitted wood paneling and trim throughout.
- Everywhere you look it’s 1977, right down to the factory carpeting.
- The Blender! Ok, the NuTone food processing center. Too Cool and it works great. Collect all 13 attachments on ebay!
- Birch Screen Door. Custom made for the GMC and a camping necessity. It even has a custom hack that seals a tiny gap. Original option on the GMC and in perfect condition.
- Optional FlexSteel Captains Chairs. Sliding in and out of a motorhome pilot or co-pilot seat can be taxing on the upholstery. These legendary Captain Chairs are great mile after comfortable mile.
- High quality Shoes. 7 Alcoa wheels are polished and mounted with new radial tires. You’ll love the air ride on quality radials. A matched spare? Of course.
- 26’ rear DRY bath model with tub. AKA, the one everyone wants.
- Gelcoat is nice but not new. Minor touch ups have been done over time.
- Nice stripes
- No accident damage visible.
- Royale Awning. It’s there but there must be some trick to opening it. For now, we’re calling it broken and as-is because we don’t want to learn that trick after trashing the thingamajig we didn’t know about.
- Factory “Sunshine Yellow” is slightly fading on the driver quarter panel area
- Flared rear fender T skirts option.
- Folding Ragusa aluminum Step option
- Ragusa Engine heat vents option
- Nice glass throughout.
- Nice Chrome bumpers
- Class IV Trailer Hitch and wiring harness
- Nice lenses and lighting.
- New wiper blades
- Nice and clean grille and headlamp area with no evidence of damage
- Aluminum Ladder and roof rail option
- Extending TV Antenna with interior control
- 7 Alcoa’s, new tires
- Onan generator
- V8 Oldsmobile Toronado Front Wheel Drive
- Doug’s headers
- Fresh oil change
- Runs nice
- Fresh dual 12v batteries
Drives and shifts nice. We don’t have any rebuild paperwork but the transmission looks brand new.
Drives, runs and stops well. See the photo with the rear wheels off. It looks brand new underneath.
Airbags work well.
This is a super clean California coach. Check the underside photos or come for a visit.
The glass is in nice original condition.
From the Captain’s position you’ll notice:
- Original factory OEM Royale upholstery in great condition. The fabric and foam are soft and pliable. There are no rips, tears or worn away corners.
- Swivel front FlexSteel bucket seats with folding armrests allow the pilot and co-pilot to turn and join the in-cabin fun.
- Excellent visibility through huge curved glass windshields.
- Auxiliary gauges
- Nice dash pad (indicative of inside storage, out of the sun)
- Lots of power outlets for charging phones and computers. 12 Volt and 110.
- Full sized chrome mirrors, spot mirrors and lots of windows make driving a dream.
- Dash air blows cool. May need a recharge.
- New Tilt face Bluetooth Radio (installed after these photos)
- Tilt steering wheel
- CB Radio (10-4 good buddy!) Dual Antennae
- Center console
In the Galley you’ll find:
- Well preserved kitchen with cabinetry in excellent condition.
- Original high end Coachman walnut wood cabinets.
- Convertible Dinette seats 4 for cards or meals.
- Preferred combo 4 burner stove and Oven.
- Double stainless steel sink.
- The refrigerator and freezer both get cold.
- 110 Shore power
- Roof A/C, The forward unit works fine. We haven’t figured out how to turn on the rear unit. (So far jewelry and chocolate have not worked;)
- Overhead light fixtures and exhaust fan.
- New rooftop vents with watertight covers.
- Carbon monoxide leak sniffer option (ornamental now-no idea if it works)
- Systems monitors.
- Microwave and TV from 1977 are included but not shown
- Rear Dry Bathroom model (bathe without drenching the entire bathroom)
- Overhead vent
- 110v Shore Power outlets
- Shower and tub
- Huge closet and storage cabinets. Medicine cabinet
- Nicely kept.
- Vinyl flooring
- Lavatory with bidet and new, never used, seat/cover.
- See the video.
- Long Side by side bunks (for us tall guys and gals)
- Dinette converts to bed.
Odometer, Full Disclosure
- Plus Side
- The odometer shows 19,735 miles.
- The prior owner claimed the mileage to be correct.
- The prior owner wrote 19,735 on the title /federal odometer statement
- The overall condition of the coach is very good, 19,000 miles is possible.
- The coach was parked under cover and in a permanent spot at the prior owner’s residence
- Minus side
- It is normal for a 5 digit odometer of this vintage to be beyond its mechanical limits.
- It is likely that the mileage is actually 119,735.
- There is zero paperwork to support mileage
We like the “50 years newer” aftermarket generators. Less noise and vibration in the coach is nice. The Onan is there. It started right up and runs but with no history, a service or replacement is suggested. If you’re just going to park it and plug in the 110v shore power, you’re all set already.
Registered in California with a clean title. The back fees are only about $300. Ask for the DMV printout if you want specifics.
Please come inspect this great GMC before the listing ends. We are happy to meet you and show her off. We call this vehicle a project. We do so because of its age and the few things we’ve noticed. We have tried to address what we can see and do so in video and photo format but nothing beats your personal inspection. The details contained in this listing are based on our review of the vehicle and any errors or omissions are unintentional. Please keep in mind that this is a 45 year old used car. It will need periodic attention just as any classic does. It is not new and will not be fresh and perfect like that new soul sucking Camry your Aunt Betty drives. If that’s what you are after, this is not your era, nor your car so please move on to something boring. Like a Prius.
You can get excellent collector car financing through LightStream. Click the banner, get great financing fast and get out for a cool drive in this one by the weekend! 24 hour funding to your bank account AND YOU KEEP THE TITLE!
Thanks for looking. I’m hopeful someone will have a ball with this great coach. $35,900