1970 Mercury Cougar XR7
Thanks for stopping by to take a look at one very cool 1970 Mercury Cougar XR7. This California Cougar is a 2 owner car prior to our acquisition. She is very original but carries some modern updates as well. Let’s check it out!
Muscle cars from 1970 are drying up fast! Tens of thousands have been exported. Many have become jewels in vast collections that are never driven and 30 years ago, many went to the crusher. Five decades down the road, finding a solid survivor can be tough. We purchased this “Never Hit” Cougar from the 2nd California owner and commissioned a sympathetic restoration. Yes, we did vary from the original Lime color palette.
This was a typically optioned Cougar XR7.
- 351W Long known for its high nickel content, the 1969 / 1970 351 Windsor engine can be built to crazy HP.
- Slick top car. No water retaining vinyl roof.
- XR7. The luxury version of the Cougar.
We have the factory build sheet and the Marti Report to confirm her provenance.
Finished in Glossy two stage Tuxedo Black. Excellent paint quality. Stacked clear has been hand color sanded to 5000 grit and then polished and ceramic coated. Her tight lines really shine from every angle.
- Excellent body fit and finish is laser straight
- Monotone trim
- Tastefully lowered for the Perfect Stance
- Hidden Headlights
- Tinted Tail and marker lenses. Tinted headlamps.
- Nice glass including a new windshield
- Rodder 20 x 10 (yes 10” wide!) and 18×8 alloy wheels with spinners and new tires. Prior to paint, the rear wheel wells were trimmed to allow for these big rear tires.
- 351 Windsor 2V engine has been rebuilt from the air cleaner to the oil pan. The cylinders were clean and did not need a rebore so it’s still 0 cut.
- Rebuilt cylinder heads with hardened valves for unleaded fuels
- Fresh factory carburetor rebuild
- New fuel tank
- All engine accessories, pumps, belts, hoses, etc. are new
- New aluminum radiator, fan shroud, billet catch can
- Air Conditioning, factory
- New Delco battery, alternator and voltage regulator.
- Fresh tune, oil change.
- New bulbs, fuses and relays including 4 new headlights
- Finned Alloy Valve covers and air cleaner
- New exhaust system, complete, with H pipe
- The engine bay has been painted to match the exterior in glossy black
- Automatic transmission, freshly serviced. New U joints
Power Steering, rebuilt system, fresh hoses, power valve.
Power disc brakes, factory. New master cylinder, hoses, wheel cylinders, pads and shoes. Drums and Rotors were resurfaced.
Shocks and Suspension
- KYB Gas adjustable front
- Gabriel Air Shocks rear
- New End links
- 2 inch suspension drop
- Sport Wood Steering wheel
- New carpeting (we pulled the OEM carpet and found the factory build sheet!)
- New leather seats with embroidered XR7 logo
- New “Snake Bite” headliner, package tray and sail panels
- Beautiful dash
- Virgin XR7 door panels and inner quarters
- Standard AM radio works intermittently.
- Fresh weatherstrips
- All gauges work except the clock.
Rust concerns – None. This is a solid, dry, local car with no prior accident damage. See the photos and the video.
Original factory build sheet.
Receipts for restorative work noted in this listing.