1962 Willys Interlagos
She is completed and stunning 9-1-2023
- The Interlagos was built by the American automobile company Willys/Jeep/Overland in Sao Paulo Brazil under license from Alpine. The Renault A108 is a sister model.
- It shares a chassis design and many components that were used on the rallye winning Renault A110
- The body was designed by carrozzeria Michelotti
- The car is powered by a Gordini tuned, Brazilian made, rear mounted, Renault spec water cooled engine. Renault replacement parts generally fit.
- 822 Willys Interlagos were produced from 1962-1965. Of the 822 cars it is believed less than 80 were cabriolets (Hemmings)
- This is VIN number 010 of 822 cars. It retains the original engine bearing serial number 0011.
- Vehicle weight approx. 1290 lbs. In racing terms, it’s a fly weight.
- Original leather seats as they left the factory in 1962, are still soft and comfortable
- Vehicle comes with a spare windshield, lights, metal trim, lettering etc.
- Vehicle has been sympathetically restored to very high driver quality
Original striking color combination.
We purchased this vehicle from the estate of Dan Horenberger. Dan was a renowned restorer of vintage carousels and a collector of eclectic vehicles. The story we have is that Dan searched for quite a while before finding the car in a collection in Brazil. The car was imported to the US without a windshield. Dan later found two windshields in Brazil and purchased them as well. One has been installed. The other is included.
The interlagos was a running project car. This is a short list of what was refurbished.
- The drivetrain was removed and refreshed. The water pump was replaced. rubber including tires, belts, CV boots, hoses and engine mounts are new.
- This motor was designed sans oil filter. Aftermarket oil filter kits are available but we chose to keep the car original.
- The radiator and gas tank were sent out to be cleaned and lined as needed.
- Of note; the chrome filler on the rear deck is for water, not fuel. The fuel filler is the red cap under the bonnet.
- OEM Monroe shock absorbers are still in place and have been cleaned and serviced.
- Coil springs.
- Drum brakes on all 4 corners have been serviced. A new master cylinder and new brake hoses have been fitted.
- The frame and suspension have been detailed.
- Leather suspension limit straps are new.
- The 6 volt system is retained. A new battery is installed.
- New fuse block. Non OEM with actual fuses.
- New headlamps and tail lamp lenses.
- The shell was resprayed in the original color with quality two stage, clearcoat paint. Color sanded and buffed. As with most older glass fibre cars there are imperfections.
- OEM style spatter paint was applied to the underside, engine compartment and under the bonnet.
- The original leather seats were in good shape. We feel that the originality and comfort exceed the pretty new leather option.
- The interior carpet style was matched and replaced.
- The interior trim upholstery is new.
- The trunk (frunk) liner is new and is matched to the original fabric.
- The convertible top is new.
- The atomic license plate does not go with the car.
- Approximately 180 photos https://www.driven.co/inventory/1962-willys-interlagos/